What happened in the Mycenaean period?
Around the year 1200 BCE the Mycenaean civilization shows signs of decline. By 1100 it was extinguished. The palaces were destroyed, and their system of writing, their art, and their way of life were gone. ... According to Greek legends, they were replaced by half-civilized Dorian invaders from the north.
What year was the Mycenaean era?
Mycenaean is the term applied to the art and culture of Greece from ca. 1600 to 1100 B.C. The name derives from the site of Mycenae in the Peloponnesos, where once stood a great Mycenaean fortified palace. Mycenae is celebrated by Homer as the seat of King Agamemnon, who led the Greeks in the Trojan War.
What caused the Minoans civilization to disappear?
Volcanic explosion. Three and a half thousand years ago, the tiny Aegean island of Thera was devastated by one of the worst natural disasters since the Ice Age - a huge volcanic eruption. This cataclysm happened 100km from the island of Crete, the home of the thriving Minoan civilisation.
What were Minoans known for?
It represented the first high civilization in the Aegean area. The Minoans exerted great influence on the Mycenaean culture of the Greek islands and mainland. Minoan culture reached its peak c. 1600 bc and was noted for its cities and palaces, extended trade contacts, and use of writing (see Linear A and Linear B).
What was the largest city of the Mycenaeans?
Their largest city was called Mycenae, which gives the culture its name. Mycenae was a large city that had a population of around 30,000 people at its peak. There were other Mycenaean cities that grew into major city-states during the height of Ancient Greece such as Thebes and Athens.
Who founded the Mycenaean civilization?
Where was Minoan located?
Who came before the Minoans?
The primary ancestors of both the Minoans and Mycenaeans were populations from Neolithic Western Anatolia and Greece and the two groups were very closely related to each other, and to modern Greeks. The Minoans and Mycenaeans occupy an important place in Greek, and European, history.
What was Minoan writing called?
Linear A script
- What weapons did the Mycenaeans use?
- How did the mycenaeans become wealthy?
- How did Mycenaean architecture differ from Minoan architecture?
- What were Mycenaean kingdoms like?
- What is the oldest Aegean civilization?
- Who deciphered Linear B?
- What is Mycenae famous for?
- Who is the most feared Greek goddess?
- What is the epithet of Aphrodite?
- What are some achievements of the Mycenaeans?
You will be interested
- Is Thera volcano still active?
- What were the Greek city states?
- Who killed the mycenaeans?
- What name was given to the period that followed the fall of the Mycenaean civilization?
- What were the jobs of the lower class mycenaeans?
- What is the name of the Minoan language?
- Why are the mycenaeans important?
- What famous war did the mycenaeans fight?
- What's another word for obelisk?
- How many Spartan 3s are there?