What do you call the line between words?
A dash is a horizontal line that shows a pause or break in meaning, or that represents missing words or letters. Dashes are often used informally instead of commas, colons and brackets. ... A dash may or may not have a space on either side of it. Do not confuse a dash (—) with a hyphen (-), which is shorter.
How do you write a hyphen?
Alternatively known as a dash, subtract, negative, or minus sign, the hyphen ( - ) is a punctuation mark on the underscore key next to the "0" key on US keyboards. Pictured is an example of the hyphen and underscore key on top of the keyboard.
What is the long hyphen used for?
The longer em dash (—) is used to separate extra information or mark a break in a sentence.
Do you put a space after a slash?
Many people wonder whether to use a space before and after slashes in a sentence. ... Spaces before slashes should be avoided. The only time it's acceptable to use a space after a slash is when breaking up lines of a poem, song, or play, or when used to separate phrases or multi-word terms for ease of reading.
How do you use an em dash in a sentence?
The em dash can be used in place of a colon when you want to emphasize the conclusion of your sentence. The dash is less formal than the colon. After months of deliberation, the jurors reached a unanimous verdict—guilty. The white sand, the warm water, the sparkling sun—this is what brought them to Fiji.
How do I create an em dash in Word?
Hold down the [Alt] key and type 0151 on the numeric keypad. Choose Symbol from the Insert menu, click the Special Characters tab, highlight the em dash, and click Insert.
How do you add a hyphen in Excel?
- Click and drag your cursor across the range of cells for which you want to uniformly add hyphens.
- Right-click the selection and click "Format Cells." The Format Cells dialog window opens.
- Click the "Numbers" tab at the top of the Format Cells dialog box.
- Click "Custom" at the bottom of the Category list.
How do you type a hyphen on a Mac?
To type an em dash, hold down the Shift and Option keys and press the Minus key. Alternatively, press the Hyphen key twice and press Space. To type an en dash, hold down the Option key and press the Minus key.
Is a dash an Ascii character?
Em dash character is not a part of ASCII character set. — is known as an Em Dash. ... It is not an ASCII character, so you cannot decode it with the ASCII character set because it is not in the ASCII character table.
How do you type a hyphen-minus?
Pressing the - on your keyboard, usually next to the 0 (zero) key, will produce a hyphen-minus. Methods of producing the other characters are described below.
What character is Dash?
Common dashes and their Unicode code-points
|glyph||HTML character entity reference|
What is a negative sign called?
The numbers in each such pair are their respective additive inverses. This attribute of a number, being exclusively either zero (0), positive (+), or negative (−), is called its sign, and is often encoded to the real numbers 0, 1, and −1, respectively (similar to the way the sign function is defined).
- How do I insert a hyphen in Word?
- How do you remove hyphens in pages?
- Does related need a hyphen?
- How do you insert a dash in PowerPoint?
- How do you insert a nonbreaking hyphen on a Mac?
- What is hyphenated text?
- How do you add a hyphenation package in LibreOffice?
- How do you type a vertical line on a keyboard?
- Is a small market cap good?
- How do you type a non breaking hyphen?
You will be interested
- How do you turn on hyphenation in pages?
- How do I jump to the end of a Word document?
- How do I remove a hyphen?
- How do you change a dash to a non breaking hyphen?
- How do you break a word without space in CSS?
- What is the definition of a hyphen?
- How do you make a non breaking hyphen in Word?
- Whats does sort mean?
- Is there a hyphen in ice cream?